Friday, September 10, 2010

Improvement, One Step at a Time

It takes time and distance to gain improvement in running and it's a good (and sometimes inspiring) idea to look back on previous workouts to see how far you've come.

Camie told me our average pace for our first 3 mile run on August 11 was 12.31, which actually means, she had a 12.31 pace and I had a 12:45ish pace. She's faster than me :) Since I downloaded the mapmyrun app on my phone, I've been tracking my runs and recording my times and I've gone from 13.35 minute mile (I run slower without Camie), to a 13.16 minute mile, then 12.24, 12.05 and last Wednesday we broke the 12 minute mile! I ran 3.5 miles with an 11.52 minute mile average (yes, Camie was faster)! Holy cow! Who would have thought I could do that?! Certainly not me. I guess that just goes to show you, don't say you aren't able to do something until after you have put forth time and energy in achieving the goal. When I ran the half-marathon in June, my time average pace was a 14.46 minute mile. I'd say I've made huge leaps so far in my training. I'm very happy and proud of that accomplishment as running is not something I've done all my life or is even a natural occurrence for me. You know I'd rather be sitting on the couch reading a book lol.

No comments: