Saturday, September 11, 2010

5 Miles

Today was a five mile run and while I'm getting more used to doing that type of distance, it is still a stretch for me to run that far. Last week's five miles seemed really hard and so I wasn't sure how today's run was going to pan out. Well, it was a good run, if you can say any run is a good run lol. I didn't feel so exhausted during the last mile. As I neared home I decided I needed to go a little further, so my "head" would know I can go past the five miles I've been doing as I'll need to do six in just a couple of weeks for the race. I ended up running 5.10 miles with a 13.23 average pace. I'm really hoping to run the 10k with a 13.30 average pace. Luckily the gps tracker I'm using broke down the miles, so I got a picture of my average pace for each mile. Mile 1 was 12.43, mile 2 was 12.38, mile 3 was 12.55 (starting to get tired), mile 4 was 13.58 and the last mile was 14.26. That last mile is my problem. I'm worried that if I add another mile and I'm slowing down even more, that my time will dip past the 13.30 pace. Although when I run with Camie my pace is much better, so I will project that running with her and my other peeps at the race, I'll be able to keep my pace up and finish at least a 13.30 average pace :)

This is probably not very interesting for most people to read I realize. A bunch of numbers and times and miles. Who really cares? Well, the thing is, I've never done this before. I've never had goals that take such a long time to achieve, that I've had to put such effort into them and that I've had to commit long term to them. This is new ground for me and things that I learn are transferring into other areas of my life. Sometimes the best thing you can do is just put one foot in front of the other and just keep going. Not stopping is the accomplishment. That's what I do when I run, one foot in front of the other. I appreciate those of you who read my blog and please leave a message every now and then. I like"hearing" from you.

3 comments:

Maddie said...

YAY for mom! I'm so impressed that you can run that far without stopping : ) I haven't started my training yet so I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with you when you come in November!

Cindy said...

Ha! Maybe this time I'll slow down for you!

Tiff and Feras said...

And it all started with avoiding naked people in Golden Gate Park :)
You're doing a great job. I can't wait to start up once Francesca is here.