Sunday, March 21, 2010

My First 5k Race!


I ran my first 5k on Saturday and was able to finish the 3 miles without walking! The run took place at Woodward Park and was the first time I've run there. I finished in 37.4, which is much better than I thought I would do. Just over a 12 minute mile. Actually, I'm rather surprised at that with how slow I feel like I've been running lately.

After meeting up with friends and taking pictures, I ran another 2 miles as I needed to do 5 miles on Saturday. Actually, after looking at my schedule, I found out I was suppose to run 6 miles on Saturday. Oh well, next Saturday I'm to run 7 miles. We'll see how that goes.

I have a hard time with my pacing when running outside. I'm always going slower, because I don't have the constant feedback of the treadmill. Running with people helped with that. I found as I was running there was a couple that ran just behind me the whole way. I knew when I was slowing down and would pick it up a bit. After the race, I spoke to the gal I was running in front of and said the pacing was great and would love to run with her anytime. She said she has a group of people who are new to running (like me!) and they meet to run together during the week and on Sundays. She invited me to run with them! How fun will that be! I love shaking things up and finding new places to run and people to hang with. She also invited me to be on their team at the Mud Runs in Lemoore. She said the Lemoore military base does an obstacle course that's five miles long and fills it with mud. Wow! Hard core! Unfortunately, it's the week between Bay to Breakers and Boston, so I don't think I could add another one in at this point. She did say they (she and her husband) did the Fresno half marathon this year and were looking to do it again, so that might be an option. I'm thinking about running in that one too. Well, I was until a moment ago when I realized I booked tickets to visit Maddie & Dan and we leave the day before the race! Oh well, it'll be there next year and I'd rather see my girl than do almost anything :)