Sunday, June 13, 2010

Half-Marathon in Boston

Back in January I had signed up with Tiff to do the Bay to Breakers race. I wasn't being too motivated to work out and that really seemed to fit the bill. Tiff emailed me a training program and I thought, ya, I can do this, so I signed on for the race.

About the same time Madison was talking about doing a half-marathon in Boston just a couple of weeks after the San Fran race. I got to thinking and decided why not do both?! Goodness, I don't know what I was thinking, but doing a half-marathon is something I've kinda always wanted to say I've done, so I asked Mad if it was ok for me to do the race with her and I was off and training like a fool.

My sister moved to NC last year and I convinced her to do the race with us, so the three of us, along with Maddie's friend Julie, all ran/walked the Boston Race to Remember half-marathon on May 30. In case you weren't sure, a half-marathon is 13.1 miles and that really is a rather long way to go, even if you're just driving! I didn't run the whole thing. In fact, I was one of the slowest people in the race, but you know what? I finished the darn race and that's more than a lot of people can say. I also did my best time. My sister, who could run circles around me, was entertaining me during the race, pointing out landmarks, saying hi to people in the crowd and talking to her family on the cell phone at least four different times. At one point, she asked if her talking was bugging me. I told her no, I just wouldn't pay attention to her if it bugged me. I took out my ear bud nearest her, so she must have brought some entertainment value.


I am really glad for this opportunity, to not only spend time with Madison & Carey, but to learn that sometimes it takes time to get to the point you want to reach. Destinations don't always come quickly. Sometimes the journey is the more important thing (Carey demonstrated that to me on the run and some day when I can run like her, I'll look up from the asphalt and notice my surroundings. It's a goal). And even if my legs hurt really, really bad, the pain will eventually go away and I'll be stronger than I was when I started the journey.

No comments: