Friday, December 19, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree


My Christmas tree was in a woeful state at the beginning of the month. Last year, as I packed away our Christmas ornaments, I packed a separate box for Madison's ornaments as I knew she would be needing them for her own home, sooner or later. So, this year my tree looked a bit bare and needed some umph. I turned to my friend Meredith, who is an awesome decorator, and she came to my rescue. We spent time at WalMart and Target, selecting the right additions to what I already had. When we got back to my place, she showed me how to decorate a tree step by step.
Decorating a Rockin' Christmas Tree
1. Have husband put up Christmas tree (this is my step, but I bet she does the same thing)
2. Put lots of lights on.
3. Take ribbon (must have wire edges), starting at the top, and secure it in sections with the tree branch (only works on fake trees). So, it's like this: secure the beginning of the ribbon by bending the end of a tree branch over the ribbon, then take a finger spread width to another branch and secure again. You will have bumps of ribbon going down the tree in a diagonal direction.
4. Place all the filler ornaments. These are the WalMart ornaments that add depth (place them inside the branches) and color.
5. Place all your personal, special ornaments.
6. Place any picks you have. I have silver poinsettias, red flowers and red and silver pine cones. (Fill holes).
7. Place additional ornaments, if needed. I purchased some ornaments that are glittery and dangle. Also, some that were the shape of snowflakes. These add dimension.
8. Cut bead garland in 10 inch sections and drape the garland around the tree. Filling and emphasizing.
My tree is sooooo pretty. It sounds like a lot of stuff (I guess it is), but it just pops in so many ways and is fun to look at. Randy wasn't so sure about the idea at first, but loved the final look. Come over if you want to check it out. Especially what I mean by the ribbon.

No comments: